Fédération Européenne des Cités Napoléonienne

Gehe zu Navigation | Content | Language

Alessandria

Alessandria: Armoiries
Alessandria: Armoiries
The city of Alexandria was founded in 1168 in honor of Pope Alexander III, a supporter of the actions of the Lombard League against Holy Roman Empire of Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. The first name of the city is Civitas Nova (New City) and includes an urban core consisting of the existing ancient village of Rovereto, with the support of the neighboring estates of Marengo, Borgoglio, Gamondio, Solero, Villa Forum, Oviglio Quargnento that want to rebel against landowners Aleramici, Marquis and Lords of Monferrato. Historically known as a military stronghold, thanks to its strategic location, throughout the centuries, Alexandria is subjected to the attention of many leaders, being involved in conflicts that sometimes little concern it. Alexandria passes from the dominion of the Visconti to the Sforza: for four hundred years, from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century, it is part of the Duchy of Milan. The eighteenth century begins with the passage of Alexandria to the Piedmont of Savoy: with the Treaty of Utrecht (1713), Alexandria is officially annexed to Piedmont-Savoy.

 

Alessandria
Alessandria

Brief history of Alexandria during the Napoleonic period.


Determined to regain Italy, Napoleon Bonaparte arrives in the plain of Marengo, near the city of Alexandria, on 14th June 1800. His Army of Italy defeates Austrian troops commanded by General Melas in the Battle of Marengo. Then Bonaparte establishes that the city is the headquarters of Prefecture and of the Department of Marengo. In 1805, he founds the symbolic Grande Ville de Marengo (Great City of Marengo) and, for some years, French advance major projects: the demolition of the historic centre, the construction of the new city cemetery, the construction of a navigable channel from the Po to the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, they pull down the thirteenth-century cathedral to get a parade ground. Other churches and monasteries are destroyed so Alexandria gets the character of fortress-city that will hold throughout the century. The sale of religious goods, the fortification works, the construction of roads to Novi-Genoa and to Savona-Acqui introduce elements of dynamism in the society of Alexandria. Napoleonic age ends on 30th April 1814 when the Austrian troops occupy the city.

Country: Italy

Region: Piedmont

Province: Alexandria

The Mayor is Dr. Prof. Piercarlo Fabbio
e-mail: sindaco@comune.alessandria.it

The Deputy Mayor is Dr. Paolo Bonadeo
e-mail: paolo.bonadeo@comune.alessandria.it

The Province of Alexandria is responsible for the Marengo Museum:
see dr. Gigi Poggio in charge of the Cultural Activities
Address: Province of Alessandria, Via Guasco n. 49 15121 Alessandria.

For information, please contact:
Department of Culture of the Province of Alessandria
Tel: (0039) 0131 304 027

StartAl Cooperative Education
e-mail: didattica@startal.it

www.marengomuseum.it